This coffee cake was a staple in our house on weekend mornings when I was growing up. I don't make it much anymore though since it involves lots of things I probably shouldn't be eating. And since I live alone, well, there's no one else to eat it.
It has a very springy texture, and, if all goes well, the butter seeps in along and there's a nice little crust of cinnamon and sugar.
- Sift together: 1.5 cups flour, 1 cup sugar, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Break 1 egg into a 1 cup measuring cup. Fill to 1 cup with milk. Stir into dry ingredients.
- Beat well. Pour into a greased 8x10x2 inch pan.
- Melt 3 tablespoons butter and spread over batter.
- Mix 3 tablespoons sugar and 1.5 teaspoons cinnamon. Sprinkle over top.
- Bake at 350 for about 20 minutes.
It's so easy that there's still time to make one before you head to work this morning...